Pharmacy & Prescription Drug Benefits
Express Scripts provides our pharmacy benefit to full Medicaid and LaCHIP members. When you need to fill your prescriptions, you must go to a pharmacy that works with Healthy Blue. We cover a wide range of prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines and now even bug spray.Find a local pharmacy now
See which drugs we pay for
We have a list of drugs we’ll pay for. This is called a formulary. We won’t pay for drugs that aren’t on the formulary unless you get an OK from us first. This is called an exception. Use our online drug search to find name brand and generic drugs we pay for.
How to search for a drug
You can search for your drug by:
- Typing the name (at least first three letters) of the drug in the search box
- Using the A-Z list to search by the first letter of your drug
- Clicking on therapeutic class of the drug
My drug isn't on the covered drug list
If you and your provider think you need a drug that’s not on the formulary, you can ask for an exception by email.
What you get
Our pharmacy benefit covers a wide range of prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, and now bug spray for our Medicaid and LaCHIP members.
Have your prescriptions filled easily
Just show the prescription from your doctor to a pharmacy in your plan. Or your doctor can call in the prescription. You’ll need to show the pharmacy your Healthy Blue member ID card and your Medicaid ID card to get your prescription. Try to use the same pharmacy each time so your pharmacist will know about problems that may occur when you’re taking more than one prescription. If you use another pharmacy, tell the pharmacist about any medicines you’re taking.
When you go to your PCP or another provider, you might get a prescription for medicine. We will pay for your prescriptions, but you may have a small copay. A copay is the amount you pay for a drug if you have Healthy Blue.
|Cost of the drug||What you pay*|
|$10 or less||$0.50|
|$10.01 - $25||$1.00|
|$25.01 - $50||$2.00|
*There are no copays for children, pregnant women, family planning supplies, members in the hospital, members of a home and community based waiver, women who have Medicaid due to breast or cervical cancer, members getting hospice services, or Native American or Alaska Native members.
Helping you manage all the moving pieces
Our new Medication Synchronization program (Med Sync) makes getting all your medicines easier — at no extra cost to you. Med Sync helps get your refills on the same schedule so you can pick up most of your medicines on just one day each month.
Our Med Sync program can help you:
- Cut down on trips to the pharmacy
- Make sure you have your medicines when you need them
- Work with your pharmacist so you can stick to a medicine routine
Get started with Med Sync today! Talk to your pharmacist about coordinating your prescriptions to get started.
Have more questions about Med Sync? Call 1-844-521-6941 (TTY 711).
Bug spray covered
We have good news! Healthy Blue members with Medicaid and LaCHIP benefits can get bug sprays at no cost with a prescription from your provider. Bug sprays we pay for can be found in our Bug Spray list.
Pharmacy benefits for behavioral health members
Members who only receive behavioral health services through Healthy Blue will get their pharmacy benefits through Louisiana Medicaid Pharmacy Fee For Service Program. Call 1-800-437-9101 for more information.
If you have Medicare Part D Drug coverage, you’ll still get your medications reimbursed through your Part D plan.
Key member resources
- Pharmacy & Prescription Drugs - English
- Pharmacy & Prescription Drugs - Spanish
- Preferred Drug List - English
- Preferred Drug List - Spanish
- Common Preferred Drug List
- Common Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicines - English
- Common Over-The-Counter (OTC) Medicines - Spanish
- Prescription Drug Reimbursement Form - English
- Prescription Drug Reimbursement Form - Spanish
- Express Scripts Online Registration Instructions - English
- Express Scripts Online Registration Instructions - Spanish